Connect with us

Business

Bridge repairs: FRSC deploys 250 personnel, indicates 75% vehicles access to bridge

From Left: Oyeyemi and Olukayode

By Ezurike Ugochukwu

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), said it has deployed 250 personnel, to control traffic at the 3rd Mainland Bridge and alternative routes in and out.

The corps has assured that regardless of the closure of the bridge for the ongoing repairs, that 75 per cent of the traffic on the bridge will still be captured regardless of the partial closure, as only 25 per cent will be directed to the alternative routes created.

The FRSC Corps Marshal, Boboye Oyeyemi, made the clarification while on assessment visit at the bridge work site in Lagos on Tuesday to observe
traffic situation.

Oyeyemi briefing journalists after the inspection

He said that in addition to the 250 personal, 200 Marshals and 50 officers together with 15 patrol vehicles will be deployed to man traffic at the area in the ongoing repair which began on July 24, and is expected to be completed on Jan. 24, 2021.

READ MORE  FRSC  declares how long Operation Show Driver’s Licence will last

Oyeyemi stated; “Only 25 per cent of vehicles will be directed to the alternative routes during the period of surface rehabilitation works on the bridge.

“The maintenance work, which is being implemented by the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, is divided into two phases with each phase lasting for three months.

“The phase one is dedicated to repairs of the outward Oworonshoki bound lane of the bridge, while the second phase will focus on the Lagos Island bound carriageway.”

The rehabilitation work at the bridge has begun at 3.6 kilometres between Adeniji Adele and Adekunle routes out of the 11.8 kilometres total length bridge.

The bridge as a critical corridor connecting Mainland and Island.carries an average daily traffic through the Mainland and Island of 60,000 vehicles inward bound island at peak period and 20,000 outward, Oyeyemi said officers have been duly deployed.

READ MORE  Onne Customs intercepts 12 containers of military uniform, illicit drugs worth N31.2bn

“The corps has deployed 250 personnel, 200 Marshals and 50 officers together with 15 patrol vehicles, two heavy trucks, two light trucks, two Ambulance and two motor bikes to control traffic.

“The identified locations for personnel fortification include: Stadium, Costain Roundabout, Iponri, Surulere, Eko Bridge Apongbon Alaska end, Oyingbo, Carter bridge, CMS Bus Stop and Iddo,” he clarified.

The collaborative efforts of other law enforcement agencies as the Police, Civil Defence Corps and Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) in ensuring adequate security on the bridge according to Oyeyemi was highly encouraging.

Mr Popoola Olukayode, the Federal Controller of Works in Charge of Lagos State, while briefing the FRSC boss said the contractor had been working progressively, with about 10 engineers supervising the project to ensure the work was done perfectly and to the stipulated time.

READ MORE  Union laments plights of members amidst COVID-19 crisis

He said; “As we speak, work is ongoing at the six expansion joints that we are going to replace.

“The contractor is now cutting the steel so that they can be able to pull it out of the joint where it is being buried.

Portion of the 3rd mainland bridge

“So, after that one, we are going to replace the expansion joint one after the other and the work is progressing steadily.

“After the three months, we will shift to the other lane, and we are assuring Lagos residents that we are not going to extend the six months period that we will use to carry out the rehabilitation,” Olukayode said.

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Advertisement

Trending