By Ezurike Ugochukwu
The Lagos state government has said it can no longer proceed with any form of re-opening of places of worship in Lagos State for now.
The State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu who disclosed this on Tuesday, June 16, at Alausa Ikeja. during his regular press briefing/update on COVID -19.
Sonwo-Olu stated that the hard decision becomes necessary following the rising cases of the coronavirus pandemic in the state standing as the epicentre of the virus in the country.
He stated that the state government has been closely monitoring the situation since then, and have now concluded that it could not proceed with the proposed re-opening of worship centres.

Boss Mustapha, Chairman, Presidential Taskforce on COVID19
He stated that based on the advice of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, for the gradual easing of the lockdown, which necessitated the state government thinking of reopening of religious houses, hoping for strict compliance with detailed guidelines issued by the Lagos State Safety Commission.
He stated that order to prevent the current level of infection in the state from getting out of hand, the decision was taken, “As at midnight yesterday, June 15, 2020, Lagos State had recorded a total of 7,319 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Of this number, 1,137 have fully recovered and been discharged, while 82 have sadly died, leaving 6,100 active cases under management in the State.
“Our dear state therefore, continues to be the epicentre of the coronavirus pandemic in Nigeria, with about 44% of the total number of confirmed cases nationwide. Let me again say that the steady increase in a number of confirmed cases is by no means unexpected. Considering that the infection is now very much in our midst, the more we test, the more the number of positive cases that will emerge.
The number one citizen of the state stated that the cheering news is that statistics emerging from Lagos State has shown more than 90% of the people who test positive will have continued to fully recover and get discharged under strict supervision.
He said, “We have been closely monitoring the situation since then, and have now concluded that we cannot proceed with any form of re-opening for places of worship in Lagos State, until further notice.

Worship centres
“This is not a decision that we have taken lightly, it is simply in line with our ongoing evaluation of evolving scenarios regarding the course of the infection in Lagos State and the corresponding public health advisory guidelines issued by the experts.
“We are now hereby, suspending with immediate effect, the plan to re-open religious houses and places of worship in Lagos State, until further notice.
“We will continue to monitor the situation closely, and continue to base our decision-making on data modelling; as well as on the responsibility we have to act in a manner that ensures the protection of all the people of Lagos State.
“Therefore, until further notice, all places of worship in Lagos State will remain closed. Social and events centres, and social clubs, will also remain closed, for now,’’ the governor said.

Lagosians taking their destiny in their hands
The state he pointed is fully in the phase of personal responsibility, that sensible decisions taken on daily bases would help save citizens and also defeat the pandemic
balancing the competing considerations of life and livelihood.are of great consideration to the government
The efforts of the government to safeguard the health and wellbeing of the people, could only be effective when the people themselves act responsibly and do not behave in a manner that undermines public health guidelines and puts the society at risk as stated by the governor.